Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Jam time!

Our apricots are finally ripe enough to make some jam! They started out like this.....and ended up like this...I know I'm leaving out some key details here, but trust me- you don't really want to know.
Let's just say between start and finish there was about: 3 hours, 500 dirty dishes, a sticky floor and stove, 2 burned arms, a scalded eyebrow, and a 3 year old (enough said). And now at the end of all this I have 7 jars of jam. It was worth it. Really.
I'm still hopeful this is the most amazing apricot jam ever and it was totally worth the trouble (since I haven't tried it yet). However, I will say jam making is not for the faint of heart- the crazy boiling (hence the burned arms) and handling hot jars definitely takes more patience and planning ahead than I was willing to do.
And here is Siena's reaction when I told her we were finally done making jam and we could do something else:)
By the way:
Jelly- made from fruit juice
Jam- made using the whole fruit
Preserves-pretty much the same as jam
marmalade-made using fruit and fruit rind
you know you were wondering....

1 comment:

The Boyd Family said...

Let me know how it tastes. :) Remember when Brandon came up to visit and we made blackberry jam- and it taste like pure sugar?? Haha...good times. BTW- I have a good idea for a blog entry...